LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment)

To be allowed to work in Canada as a foreign national, you will need to hold a valid work permit. There are different types of work permits but most of them require you to have a positive LMIA with a valid job offer from a Canadian employer. However, there are several occupations that do not require an LMIA.

LMIAs are issued by the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), a department of the Government of Canada. All LMIAs issued will be valid for six months from the date of issuance. You will have six months to submit your positive LMIA to IRCC or else it will expire and you will need to apply for a new LMIA.

What does ESDC consider when reviewing LMIA applications?

While reviewing your LMIA application, ESDC will consider the following:

  • The job offer given to the foreign national is genuine and consistent with reasonable employment practices and any federal or provincial employment laws;
  • The wages and working conditions are comparable to those offered to Canadians working in the same occupation;
  • The employer has made reasonable efforts to hire Canadians for the position;
  • There is a labour shortage and the foreign worker will help the Canadian labour market;
  • New jobs for Canadians will be created;
  • The foreign worker will transfer skills and knowledge to Canadians;
  • Hiring the foreign worker will not affect any labour disputes or the employment of any Canadian worker.

Did you know your LMIA could be revoked?

ESDC has the right to revoke your approved LMIA before you have received your work permit, if:

  • You included false or misleading information in your application;
  • ESDC has found that hiring the foreign worker will have a negative impact on the Canadian labour market;
  • The ESDC officer made an error approving your application.


If your LMIA gets revoked, the employer could submit a new LMIA application.

My LMIA has been approved, what’s next?

After receiving a positive LMIA, you should apply for your Canadian work permit or submit your LMIA towards your permanent residency application.

There are special processes for the following occupations:

  • Academic
  • Seasonal Agricultural
  • Film and Entertainment
  • Information Technology
  • Live-in Caregivers
  • Low skill pilot


If you need help with your LMIA application, our team of experienced immigration consultants can help you. Fill out our free assessment form and book your free consultation to start your application.