Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)

If you have recently graduated from school in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduate work permit (PGWP). A PGWP is an open work permit granted to international students who have graduated from an eligible program of study and a designated learning institution.

To check if your school is a designated learning institution, click here

“A PGWP is a great opportunity for students who wish to gain Canadian work experience after their studies. Usually, after completing their studies and achieving Canadian work experience, individuals apply for permanent residency through several immigration streams such as the Canadian Experience Class”

 “An advantage of this stream is that individuals have a high chance of finding jobs in their field of study because they have a degree or certificate from a Canadian institution and employers are more likely interested in hiring individuals with Canadian education rather than someone with a foreign education”

With a PGWP, you are allowed to work in any occupation for any employer. Your job doesn’t have to be related to your education.

Eligibility Requirements:

To apply for a PGWP, there is no need to have a job offer or a positive LMIA. You only need to have:

  • Completed an eligible program of study at a DLI;
  • Completed a program in length of more than 8 months as a full-time student;
  • Completed more than %50 of your studies in Canada, in-person;
  • A valid Canadian study permit or visitor record (or are on implied status) at the time of application.

*Note: if you don’t have a valid status in Canada, you must apply from outside Canada.

The length of your PGWP will depend on the duration of your studies.

Example: if your program of study is one year in length, your PGWP will be valid for one year as well.

However, the maximum length of a PGWP is three years. Meaning even if your program of study is four years, your PGWP will not be valid for more than three years.

You can work full-time while waiting for your PGWP decision, if you were:

  • A Canadian study permit holder;
  • A full-time student at a DLI;
  • Authorized to work off-campus without a work permit.

*Note: if you currently hold a visitor record, you cannot work while waiting for your decision.

If you have completed more than one program of study, your PGWP may combine the length of both programs. To be eligible, each program must be completed at a DLI and its duration be more than 8 months.

Procedural Fairness Letter

If an immigration officer is suspected of misrepresentation on your file, you will be issued a procedural fairness letter. This is an opportunity for you to respond to the officer’s concerns before being banned from Canada. You will have only 30 days to respond to this letter.

You should think about your response carefully and submit a detailed response with strong arguments.

It is best to have an experienced representative respond to your procedural fairness letter, as this is your last chance to save yourself.

If you have received a procedural fairness letter, we can help you! Don’t wait until it’s too late; you only have 30 days to respond. Contact us today.

We can help you submit a response to your procedural fairness letter, or if you have already received your 5-year ban, we can challenge the decision.

Frequently Asked Questions

When to apply for a PGWP?

You can apply for your post-graduate work permit within 180 days of receiving your final transcripts.

What are the estimated government fees?

  • $255.00 CAD for PGWP
  • $350.00 CAD for restoration of status

How long does the process take?

The average processing time for PGWP is 45 days. However, processing times can change without notice.

How should I submit my application?

You can both apply by paper or online.

My school has been on strike, do I count as a full-time student?

If you have been affected by your school’s strike, you would still be considered a full-time student.

What if my study permit expires before receiving my final grades?

After your study permit expires, you have 90 days to submit your PGWP application and restore your status as a student. If you don’t apply within the 90 days period, you will have to leave Canada.

* You cannot work while waiting for your PGWP decision.

I am eligible for a 3 year PGWP but my passport expires in one year, what should I do?

Your PGWP will be issued for one year, until your passport expires. You might be able to extend your PGWP.

If you wish to apply for your PGWP, contact us today and our team of experienced immigration consultants will assist you in all matters regarding your application.