Spousal Sponsorship

If you are married to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to apply for Canadian permanent residency under the spousal sponsorship program.

Please note that Quebec has its own immigration policies and if you reside in Quebec, the sponsorship rules are different. The information provided on this page does not apply to Quebec sponsorship applications.

What requirements should the sponsor have?

* Canadian citizens who are residing outside-Canada could sponsor their spouse if they could demonstrate that they would reside in Canada once their spouse is a Canadian permanent resident.

Note: Polygamous marriages are not recognized in Canada

What could prevent you from sponsoring your spouse?

Sponsorship Undertaking

For Spouse Sponsorships, the sponsor undertakes to support their spouse for a period of three years from the date of becoming a permanent resident. This agreement is between the sponsor and the Minister of immigration.

What does undertaking mean?

By undertaking to support your spouse, you are making a financial commitment to provide your spouse with basic requirements and to repay the government if she/he receives any social assistance payments.

Note: This undertaking is unconditional meaning a divorce, separation or unemployment (change of conditions) does not cancel the undertaking and the sponsor will remain obligated.

Important factors in a spousal sponsorship application

The following factors will be considered by the immigration officer when assessing your sponsorship application:

Note: medical inadmissibility does not apply to spouses.

Difference between in-Canada applications and outside-Canada applications?

If you are applying from inside Canada, you and your spouse should be living together.

If your application is refused, you only have the right to appeal your immigration decision if you have applied from outside Canada.

Outside Canada applications are processed faster than inside Canada applications.

One of the benefits of applying from inside Canada is that you could apply for an open work permit while waiting for your sponsorship decision.

Frequently Asked Questions

Super Visa FAQ

How long does the process take?

If you have applied from outside Canada, your application is given the highest priority and is processed faster. Outside and Inside Canada applications usually take between six to twelve months to be processed.

Sending an incomplete application with missing information and documents could delay your application or result in your refusal. It is important to submit a complete application with all the required documents to avoid any delays.

Moshiri Immigration ensures your sponsorship application is complete to be processed as quickly as possible.

What are the estimated government fees?
  • Sponsorship Fee $75.00 CAD
  • Principal Application Processing Fee $475.00 CAD
  • Right of Permanent Residence Fee $500.00 CAD
Would there be an interview?

After completely submitting your application, you may be invited for an interview by the immigration officer. The immigration officer will ask you a set of questions to determine if your relationship is genuine.

An interview has a great impact on the outcome of your application. Therefore, it is important that you are well prepared for your interview. Our office will fully prepare you for your interview and guide you so you know what to expect.

Can I sponsor my spouse while residing outside Canada?

Only Canadian citizens have the option to sponsor their spouse from outside Canada if they can prove that they will return to Canada permanently upon receipt of their spouse’s permanent residency.

Can we start the application as soon as we get married?

As long as your marriage is genuine, you could start the application as soon as receiving your marriage certificate.

Can I come to Canada while waiting for a decision?

You could apply for a temporary residence visa (TRV) and come to Canada temporarily. However, there is no guarantee that you will receive your visa. If you wish to apply for a TRV and come to Canada, it is best to submit your application from inside Canada.

Moshiri Immigration

How Can We Help

Canadian immigration laws can be complex and challenging. At Moshiri Immigration, our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC) specialize in Canadian immigration law. We have successfully handled many spousal sponsorship applications, and we can help you too! 

Our years of experience allow us to provide practical and straightforward advice, ensuring you get the results you want. From the moment you become a client at Moshiri Immigration, we guarantee that your case will be handled with the utmost professionalism and personal attention.

We offer free case evaluations to understand your case and ensure you know your available options. This would allow you to make an informed decision before applying for any type of visa or immigration program.